ERTATSMINDA - The architecture of Ertatsminda Church dates from the mid-thirteenth century. It is built of large carefully hewn blocks of yellow sandstone. The building has an inscribed-cross plan, with its dome resting on the corners of the apse wall projections to the east and two piers to the west. Pendentives serve to transition from the square central bay to the circular base of the dome. The Church of St. Eustace stands in the middle of the village of Ertatsminda, within a large courtyard that is encircled by a stone wall. The toponym Ertatsminda derives from Estatetsminda, which in Georgian means St. Eustace. The exterior of the church is richly decorated. All four façades feature framed double windows with large crosses between them, all of which are adorned with stone-carved ornaments.
The monastery in Sapara has existed since the 10th century. The single-nave church of the Dormition of the Virgin belongs to this period. From the second half of the 13th century, Sapara became the residence and burial place of the Jakeli: the Rulers (Atabags) of Samtskhe (a historical region of south-western Georgia). Sapara Monastery is located ten kilometers from the city of Akhaltsikhe, quite remote from the settlement.
Manglisi is one of the oldest Christian sites in Eastern Georgia. The first church was built at the location in the fourth century, soon after the Kingdom of Iberia had officially adopted Christianity as the state religion in around 330. In the 490s, a new church was constructed in Manglisi. By that time, it was commonly believed that relics which had borne witness to Christ were kept at Manglisi. Their possession made Manglisi the Caucasian-wide center for pilgrimage.
Tsughrughasheni Church is situated 2 kilometers from Bolnisi Sioni Cathedral in Kvemo Kartli Province. The church was built in 1212–1222 supposedly by King George IV Lasha of the Bagrationi Dynasty. Tsughrughasheni Church is a cross-domed building remarkable for its unusually elevated proportions. The dome’s exterior height from the bottom of the drum to the top of the conical roof is two and a half times greater than its diameter, making it look like a tower. This perception of increased height is emphasized not only by the towering dome, but also by the sharply angled gables.
BIENNALE ARCHITETTURA 2023 -Within the framework of 18th International architecture exhibition Georgian project - January, February, March is shown by Tbilisi Architecture Biennial. The project symbolically focuses on water reservoirs, their creation, and their impact in the age of rapid political transformations and climate change. How temporary is our footprint on the environment? When we mention the flows of energy, migration, time, and the outflow of the landscape itself, what flows are we speaking of? Can we consider water as a determinant of order? To what extent can the spatial–political development of humans bring changes in nature and society and vice versa? What physical and conceptual forms fade or remain with such transformations? Are the natural creations – their memory, history, and artifacts – signifying their past life and, above all, considering both the global and local contexts, what is their future? Commissioner: Magda Guruli Curators: Gigi Shukakidze, Tinatin Gurgenidze, Otar Nemsadze Exhibitors: Tbilisi Architecture Biennial 18th International architecture Biennale is curated by academic, educator and best-selling novelist Lesley Lokko and will be on show till Novermber.
The Church of St. George stands in a thick forest on the edge of Daba village in the historic province of Tori, which has also been referred to as Borjomi Gorge since the nineteenth century. The church is built right up against a steep cliff, and its southern wall is nestled in the concavity of the rock. According to the inscription carved above its western door, the church was built in 1333 by the Chief Treasurer of George V the Illustrious – the last successful King of Georgia, who expelled from the country the invading Mongols and reunited the Georgian Kingdom.
In 1851, the Mauritanian-style building became home to the first opera house in the Caucasus. The opera gained tremendous popularity, but ballet remained relatively unknown to the Georgian public until the arrival of four ballet dancers from St. Petersburg, whose uncanny performance served as an introduction to the genre. The first official premiere of ballet took place on January 18, 1854, two years after the grand opening of the Theater. The present building of tbilisi opera state theatre was constructed from 1880 to 1896 by Viktor Schroeter, a prolific architect from St-Petersbourg. He designed the Tbilisi Opera House in Neo-Moorish style, which spread across Europe and America in the latter half of the nineteenth century. The curtain for Tbilisi Opera House was created by Sergo Kobuladze (1954-56, 1961).
Dmanisi is a snapshot in time, like a time capsule that preserves an ecosystem 1.8Ma ago. The Dmanisi site combines unique traces of different archeological periods. The site is rich in medieval and Bronze Age artifacts, but it is the wealth of paleolithic finds that have put it on the scientific map. The Village of Dmanisi lies 85 kilometers southwest of the Georgian Capital of Tbilisi. In the Middle Ages, Dmanisi was one of the most prominent cities and an important stop along the old Silk Road.
Tbilisi’s Muslim population appeared after the conquest of the city by Arabs in the early VII century. Several mosques were erected in Tbilisi during the Middle Ages. The largest among them was the Shi’a mosque that stood on the right bank of the Mtkvari, close to the river. According to oral tradition, it was built by Shah Ismail I of Iran, who invaded Georgia and occupied Tbilisi from 1522 to 1524.
TSROMI Church - The church in Tsromi is one of the most important early medieval buildings in Georgia, from both architectural and historical points of view. According to tradition, the church was erected at the place where St. Razhden the Protomartyr, a fifth-century Iranian convert to Christianity, was executed. The first church at the location of St Razhden’s martyrdom in Tsromi was most probably built in the late fifth century.
A trip through the Impressive Architectural Landmarks in Tbilisi - Aghmashenebeli Avenue, Machabeli Street, Sololaki, Vera. The diversity of Tbilisi’s architecture was revealed from the second half of the 19th century and the early 20th century. Cosmopolitan style met local traditions in Tbilisi, and this international artistic language of forms and themes merged with a clear national tradition.
The Church of the Savior of Mghvimevi, which dates from the 1270s, stands on a steep cliff face high above the road in a suburb of the city of Chiatura in Imereti. It is built in front of a natural cave, and is partly sheltered by a large overhanging steep ledge of rock (the name of the place derives from Mghvime, which means cave in Georgian).
Lado Alexi-Meshkhishvili (1915-1978) is one of the most outstanding architects, whose creative work has left a significant mark on Georgia, particularly in Tbilisi. Though Lado Alexi-Meskhishvili had to work in two completely different stylistic and ideological periods, all of his works are characterized by their simplicity, subtlety, and lack of excessive decoration and overload of details. Even though his projects share some common features, they are all unique.
Ateni Sioni is Georgian Orthodox church features 4 apses with 4 niches & Nuskhuri inscriptions. The first church was constructed at the site as early as the fifth century. Archaeological studies have revealed that it must have been a large basilica. The majority of the substructure was also built during that period. Ateni is located in Shida Kartli province, 15 km from the town of Gori. The church known as Sioni (i. e. Zion) stands on a giant artificial platform constructed atop a cliff at a bend in the Tana River gorge.
The building of the former Ministry of Highway Construction in Georgia, which is currently the @bankofgeorgia Headquarters. Architect Giorgi Chakhava was appointed to the post of Deputy Minister of Highways in 1969, and served as both the customer and executor of the project. He chose the site himself, with the intention of making the building prominent and noticeable to people as they were entering and leaving the city. Today, this building serves as an advertisement for Georgia on the world map of twentieth-century architecture. Architects: Giorgi Chakhava, Zurab Jalaghania Designers: Alexander Kimberg, Teimuraz Tkhilava Design Institute: “Gipropromselstroy” until 1970, later the 3rd architectural studio of Tbilzniyep Project development period: 1967-1970 Building construction period: 1972-1975